Q: How do I fix alligatoring?
- Patterned cracking in the surface of a paint film resembling the scales of an alligator.
- Application of an extremely rigid coating, like an alkyd enamel, over a more flexible coating, like a latex primer.
- Application of a top coat before the undercoat is dry.
- When a rigid substance, like an alkyd enamel, has been applied over something more flexible, such as a latex primer
- Natural aging of oil-based paints as temperatures fluctuate.
- Old paint should be completely removed, and the surface should be primed with a high-quality primer before painting.
A: Alligatoring paint is paint that cracked in a pattern resembling alligator scales, making a wall or building look unsightly. A smooth paint job with no damage makes a building look beautiful. Well-maintained buildings can preserve and increase property values, and improve a community’s quality. For commercial property, good maintenance is essential to attracting renters or customers. Here are some tips to prevent and repair alligatoring on your walls or building.
See All Pro Painting Tips See All Pro Resources
It is best to remove all the paint from the paint job with alligatoring, even if the paint has not cracked everywhere, and repaint the whole building or section of the building. That way, the colors will match and alligatoring will not occur in more places.
If the paint has cracked, it’s very likely that other parts of the building will crack in the future. If you paint over such areas, the underlying layers will crack and ruin the new paint.
See All Paint Products
It is easy to prevent paint from cracking once you know the cause and find a solution. Apply a high-quality primer before repainting, and make sure each layer of primer or paint dries completely before applying another. Be sure not to apply a rigid substance over a more flexible one. Make sure the surface is clean before painting. If cracking occurred in old oil-based paint, you might want to consider using a different type of paint that is not as prone to cracking as it ages, especially if the climate is prone to repeated freezes and thaws.
These simple steps will save you the time and expense of removing cracked paint and repainting the building. As with many maintenance issues, good products are important for making a building look attractive.